This is a forward I received from someone. And well..it really struck a chord cos I know the feeling..read on..
This is an absolutely hilarious piece of literature about the plight of Tam Brams. Happy reading. "YOU graduated in Literature, right?" asked my young cousin. "No, in Economics." I hastily clarified. "Economics honors," I added for good measure. The question coming from anyone else would have been innocuous, but from my cousin who was a third year engineering student, it was almost offending. As a card carrying member of the Tamilian Brahmin community, or Tam Brams, as the endearment goes, I knew that in his world-and that included his parents, relatives, colony friends, project group, dorm mates-someone who graduated in Literature obviously did so because he or she had a learning disability. The poor thing was a freak who couldn't get admission into an engineering college: or even a pitiful, but definitely more acceptable, science course. Or worse, such a specimen was a wasted wanton whose desire to do B.A. was an irresponsible, rebellious act, almost akin to joining a Neo-Nazi like cult group and living on the edge of civilized society. In any such conversation with a bonafide Tam Bram, I find myself fervently hoping, that despite falling under the horrifying category of B.A Economics, with its connotations of statistics and analysis of numbers and trends, would redeem me a little in their maths-science obsessed eyes. For a Tam Bram family mathematics and science are not merely subjects in the school curriculum. They are a religion. And the dharma of every Tam Bram student is to master them and pave his way to the heavenly portal of an IIT. Or at least to the ordinary portal of a local engineering college, which the family will eventually reconcile to, in the absence of the 'real thing'.
A Tam Bram girl's singing talents always have to be on standby, as they could be called upon by anyone no matter what the time of day, nature of the occasion or profile of the audience, by simply uttering the three powerful words, "Oru Paatu Paadein." And woe betide the girl who in shameful ignorance, takes the words at face value. When the words were uttered by a visiting neighbor, I readily accepted and joyously broke into a popular Hindi film ditty. I had finished the second paragraph when I stopped to check audience response. My mother had a strained, embarrassed smile on her face, grand mom was scowling hard, an aunt hurriedly excused herself and went inside and the venerable neighbor looked so disturbed, I thought she was on the verge of a heart attack."Well..that was nice, but don't you sing any varnams or keerthanais?" she finally asked, after an awkward silence. My mother hurriedly explained how in the culturally bereft North we were unable to locate a Carnatic music teacher nearby...but hopefully by this summer she would manage to do something about it. That's when I realised that the only music that was expected to pour out of your mellifluous throat where classical Carnatic songs. If you didn't know any, you simply shut up and ducked out of sight of visiting maamis. And if like me, you are a non-engineer-non-Carnatic-trained loser of a Tam Bram, you should be drowning yourself in a drum full of idli batter for having wasted this lifetime.
Lol..I am like her..non-engineer-non-carnatic-trained loser. Or maybe slightly carnatic trained. I haven’t felt the non carnatic part strongly in my family. But I’m aware of how that works.

6 comments:
Lol... Its true .. you can have the world in your hands but 12th board marks and your engineering dgree matter the most!! tell me about it ... :P Here I am .. heading to one of the most prestigiopus universities in the world and my brothers ( aka engineers) are stuill considered the smarter, brighter ones :)) Life!! LOl .. guess i am beyond caring now .. I know I am successful .. and I have the last laugh too .. engineers get the last pref in any top 10 MBA prog across the US .. and now aint that what we all wanna do in the end ?
lol..ess ess..but stop gloating..everybody knows ure going to harvard!! :P
abacharam, you're questioning the sanctity of my tamilhood! shiva shiva.
i nevr sed i was going thr ... and u were going to LSE .. sigh all us non-enginerrs in the family .. totally hopeless :)
This post was downright hilarious. Having been through the system albeit with a few tweaks, I realize how it works. I'm sure you're still getting " oru paattu paadein". That's damn funny. Good blog. Nice reading - liking it!
@ shyam
Thank you :)
Post a Comment